Our values convey the things we heard make the most difference to patients, carers, and staff, and the ways people said we can keep improving.
They were created with almost a 1000 staff, patients and carers who used the feedback from 1000 hours of listening to staff, patients, carers and families about their experience of working and being cared for at the RUH.
They set out our ambition for how our staff, patients, carers, families said they want each and every one of us to behave now and in the future. We know that many of our staff live these values most of the time but our staff, patients, carers and families told us we don't consistently live these values.
They represent our aspiration for the type of hospital we want to be.
Our values are: Everyone Matters, Working Together, Making a Difference.
Everyone MattersWe will:
- Treat everyone as an individual – see the person, understand their needs, respect their views
- Take time to care – be attentive and considerate, notice the little things
- Value and respect others – recognise people's contributions, say thankyou
- Be kind and caring – put yourself in other's shoes, show empathy and compassion
- Be friendly and polite – smile, introduce yourself, welcome everyone and build relationships
- Be calm and reassuring – put people at ease, create cheerful and welcoming environments
Working TogetherWe will:
- Communicate – clearly, openly, honestly, sensitively and in a timely way
- Actively listen – make time to listen, hear people and respond
- Share information – be transparent, keep people informed, explain clearly
- Involve and empower others – share learning, welcome people's ideas and give choices
- Be helpful – be aware of others, ask people if they need help, follow things through
- Support each other – cooperate to provide the best possible service
Making a DifferenceWe will:
- Be proactive – prepare, take responsibility, influence whenever you can, focus on solutions
- Speak up – encourage everyone to have a voice and help people to be heard
- Take pride – in ourselves, what we do and where we work, celebrate achievements
- Contribute – share ideas, be curious, challenge yourself and others to continuously improve the way we work
- Be willing to learn – develop yourself and other's skills, knowledge, confidence and ability, be prepared to learn from others, give and receive feedback
- Be responsive and efficient – take the time to do things effectively and be respectful of other people's time
Our values are displayed throughout our hospitals. They are actively promoted among staff and will be embedded in the hospitals through the way we recruit and induct, in our performance management and reward and recognition systems, at team meetings, in skills based development programmes for managers, leaders and teams. They will be aligned with our quality assurance processes, existing and future strategy and in our communications.
They set out what we expect of ourselves, and importantly, what our patients and anyone who comes into contact with the Royal United Hospitals Bath NHS Foundation Trust can expect of us.
"These values guide everything we do, how we work with patients, carers, and each other, now and in the future. Our values represent our aspiration for the type of hospitals we want to be. We face a future where everyone matters, and works together to make a difference, to ensure we continue to improve the quality and standards of service delivered by the RUH." James Scott, Trust Chief Executive